The simple answer to this is yes yes and yes. It is completely normal to have sex while you are on your period. Period sex may seem uncomfortable and embarrassing but it can be very enjoyable and a lot of men do not mind it. If your partner does mind it maybe try reminding them that blood is natural and similar to other fluids that are exchanged during sex. Period sex is just like normal sex, just a little messier.
Having your period is natural and it is 100% safe to have period sex. In fact, having sex on your period actually has some nice benefits!
- Satisfies the extra horny-ness inside of you. The fluctuation in hormones on your period are linked to a higher sex drive either right before or during the start of your menstrual cycle. This is why some women are more aroused on their period.
- Relief of menstrual cramps. When you orgasm dopamine and endorphins are released. The release of these chemicals can alleviate cramps and other period symptoms such as backache, headache, etc.
- Natural lubrication. Blood acts as a natural lubricant and adds to the warmth of the vagina. The extra fluid and warmth can be a benefit for both partners!
- Greater sensations. There is a lot of hormones and blood flow happening on your period, so it can make things down there more sensitive and heightened.
If you and your partner do decide to engage in sex on your period, make sure you remove your tampon prior to messing around. Forgetting to remove a tampon prior to sex can push the tampon too far up the vagina and you will have to have a doctor remove it.
Having your period is a beautiful and amazing thing. Sharing this experience with your partner can be a positive thing and bring you closer together. It can also empower you as a woman to embrace your body when its bloated, bleeding, achy and running it’s natural course. Just because you are on your period does not mean you don’t deserve pleasure.
Things to keep in mind when having sex on your period:
- Blood can get on your sheets, partner, or yourself. You can lay a dark colored towel down if you are worried about the mess. It is not as messy as you think it will be, and if it does start to get too messy you can always communicate with your partner that you want to stop. If you have a heavy flow the mess may not be worth it to you.
- Keep a wet washcloth or wet wipes near by. You can easily wipe yourself off afterwards (also obvi take a shower after)
- Some positions may be more uncomfortable than usual, since there is more sensitivity going on, and you will need to communicate with your partner on what feels good and what does not. Due to gravity, laying down positions can be less messy and more comfortable.
- Use latex condoms!!
There is nothing dirty or shameful about having sex on your period. With the correct communication and a little bit of preparation the experience can be really wonderful for both partners. It’s not for everyone, but it is normal to have. Just because you’re on your period doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy sex!